Make sure your child's accommodations are in place for next year

Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:01:00 PM
Rate this Content 0 Votes

IEP advice

This is the time to make sure all the correct accommodations are in place for your child for summer and next year’s busing. 

Just because you sent in the medical forms does not mean they transmitted to OPT.  Call 718-392-8855 and find out what their computer says.  Call or go into the school and make sure someone faxed the forms to SESIS, finalized, created an event, and contacted the school’s Transportation Liaison (public schools can ask their Network who that is).  Then this Liaison has to contact OPT.  The Liaison is often out visiting schools, leading workshops, or attending graduations and such, so the school may need to make several follow up calls or better, e-mails.  


Changes to a ‘more restrictive’ type of service, i.e. further apart from general education busing, such as Limited Time Travel or Mini-Wagon or Lift cannot be done by a Waiver to Amend the IEP.  There must be a Reconvene meeting. 


Do not give up if the school psychologist and team are too busy in May and June…Reconvene meetings can occur in the summer at a Per Session site with whatever psychologist and team are present.  You bring another copy of the documentation to them. 

Site Map | Printable View | © 2008 - 2021 Parents to Improve School Transportation | Powered by mojoPortal | HTML 5 | CSS | design by dcarter